Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Why the title, "Random Ramblings"?

In some small and weak effort I will try and explain why I chose this as my blog space title:

“Pay attention to random thoughts.”  A friend and mentor Tod Brown says that phrase often in an exercise we do in a men’s group with which I am involved.  The idea is that when in silence and paying attention to the Lord and what He might have to say…pay attention to random thoughts, He may be speaking through those thoughts.  I have found that to be true many times both during that exercise and in other places of my life. 
The title of this blog space is “Random Ramblings.”  And as one of my friends pointed out…what I write is not necessarily random but from what God has put on my heart…what I write still stems from what I perceive as random.  Part of my motivation to blog was to put in writing things that were on my heart for periods of time longer than a passing thought.  I would have these mini-sermons, so to speak, in my head and on my heart for days at a time.  Eventually they would fade and I would remember them no more.  Therefore, I have attempted to put these thoughts and themes in writing.  At least they would be out there to access again and to receive feedback from others to see if what I had written was from God. 
So, in one way, my friend is right.  These are not truly random if they are from God.  And, in another way, they are random, at least to me.  Sometimes what we consider random is not random to God at all.  Case in point:  Many times in my life I have had thoughts and memories about a friend I have not seen in a long time.  Within a few days, that friend contacts me or I run into him or her.  Was God preparing my heart to see that individual?  I think so. 
I see in my life many times where God works in themes (that is how I describe it).  For me, it works like this:  There will be a particular life situation that is either re-occurring or has come up different from the direction I am going.  Then I notice that a sermon or a passage I am studying matches my life situation.  I will also run into friends who are sharing similar experiences.  Songs I hear match where I am, and so on.  Sometimes I use these themes as devotional or chapel thoughts at my school. 
So…why the title:  “Random Ramblings?”  These themes in my life seem to be random.  I realize down in my heart that it is God working on me and using me for His purposes.  To me at times, it seems so random.  I do not want to lose what I have experienced…therefore I am trying to blog those themes in my life to keep record of where God has brought me. 
I want to speak back to the paying attention to random thoughts.  Many of the random thoughts I experience are from God and I see Him reveal Himself to me as things unfold in my life.  However, if I do not spend enough time listening or paying attention to these thoughts, I miss what God is revealing to me.  I am so addicted to noise that I need a time set aside just to practice the discipline of silence.  Furthermore, if I do not pay attention to these random thoughts, I may miss that they are a manifestation of selfishness or some other sin suggested by the evil one.  One thing I cannot discount is the schemes by the evil one.
Finally, what I would say is, “pay attention.”  Pay attention to random thoughts.  Pay attention to little things around you.  Be self-aware.  God may be speaking to you in ways you may have never realized.  He has to me…Hence the title:  “Random Ramblings.”

Peace

3 comments:

  1. It's good to pay attention but even better to record them as I tend to forget all the morsels that come my way over time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thru you and other men in this Ministry I have learned when a thought pops into my head that isn’t attached to anything I was thinking about. If it was random, and spontaneous, that’s a good indication it didn’t come from me. It could be from God!

    We have to remind ourselves to “pay attention” to “random thoughts”. If we saw $50 dollar bills falling from the sky one day we’d “pay attention” each time we went outside!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um.....All three of you are right...at least in my eyes. I wished I had a dollar for every thought that came my way that I had a hunch wasn't mine, and paid attention,...let alone write it down..Thanx Guys
    By the way: I may have to bury a "brother", but a "Crucible Brother" will live forever.HO!

    ReplyDelete