Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Just a thought for the day on Community

Reading the book Healing the Shame that Binds You by John Bradshaw, I came across this quote:

"There is an ancient proverb that states, 'One man is no man.'  This saying underscores our basic human need for community, which underscores our need for relationships and social life.  Not one of us could have made it without someone being there for us.  Human beings need help.  Not one of us is so strong that he does not need love, intimacy and dialogue in community."

Reading this draws me to Ecclesiastes 4:9-12:

"Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work:  If one falls down, his friend can help him up.  But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up!  Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm.  But how can one keep warm alone?  Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves.  A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.  NIV

I am made aware daily, in this individualistic culture, that we are in need of community...when I look around me and see all the pain and woundedness...when I look around me and see absentee parenting...when I look around me and see teens (and many adults) looking for acceptance and initiation into adulthood through sex, addictions, and gangs...when I look around me and see men who are deeply wounded by life around them...I see a need for genuine community.  Why are teens addicted to text and facebook (many adults now too)?  They are in search of that community.  Why are the bars full?  They are in search of community.

We as Christians need to be more about community and less about what our doctrine says.  Doctrine is important...tradition is important...knowing God's Word is important...but we will never be able to reach those around us without creating a loving community.

Think community, offer community, love as a community, then you will reach the lost.

Just a thought.

1 comment:

  1. Well said. Change happens in authentic community, where I expect & authorize people to call "shenanigans" on me. Not b/c I want to be shamed, but b/c I want to grow into the man God created me to be. I think you captured this well in this post and this other one I just read: http://randomramblingsbdm.blogspot.com/2011/07/crucible-mens-weekend.html

    ReplyDelete